The New – Old Boiler Room
The agreement for implementation of the investment in the Olsztyn university town of Kortowo entitled Modernization and expansion of the "Old Boiler Room" building at the Technological Education Centre with a value of PLN 12.7 million was signed on 13 April 2011.
The building is adapted to the current needs of the university and it is a monument of technology. It was built in the years 1884-1889. Construction works were supervised by the Municipal Conservator. In order to preserve the old atmosphere and the historical function of this location, La Monte's boilers and coal chutes have been left next to the new ones. What is more, Mostostal has restored the characteristic, crooked brick chimney of the boiler room (height: 40 m), which has served many generations of engineering students during surveying exercises.
The cubic content of the modernized building is 12,780 cubic meters and the usable area is 2,329 square meters.
The "Old Boiler Room" will house, among others, the Innovation and Technology Transfer Centre and the Foreign Projects Office. The interiors of the nineteenth-century building will also become a meeting place for entrepreneurs and scientists.
- Investor: University of Warmia and Masuria
- Contractor: Mostostal Warszawa
- Contract value: PLN 12.7 million
- Implementation period: 2011 – 2013