1965 – The Grand Theatre
The present location of the Grand Theatre used to be where the Marywil commercial centre and hotel was situated. Marywil was demolished in the 1930s and in 1825-1833 the theatre was built in its place based on a design by Antonio Corazzi.In September 1939, the building was bombed and largely consumed by fire.
After WW II, the theatre was rebuilt in the historicising socialist realism style and it was extended (by the design of Bohdan Pniewski under the supervision of Arnold Szyfman) with funds from the Social Fund for Rebuilding the Capital. As a result it was the most developed and best-equipped opera theatre in the world. On 19 November 1965, the opening ceremony of the rebuilt Grand Theatre took place. At the beginning of the 21st century, Mostostal Warsaw also constructed the sculpture of Apollo that decorates the theatre’s front façade.
Construction period: 1963 – 1965